Sunday, March 13, 2011

Our adventures in homeschooling

Our little monkey and our diva rule the house! We let them think so at least :)

We are not the typical family. We do not have structured anything, YET. The kids do not have set bedtimes, but they do pretty much go to bed at the same time every night, around 11pm. They typically sleep an average of 10 or so hours a night. It really depends on how active they were during the day.

We take our time waking up and getting ready for the day. Breakfast is a time to relax before starting our school time. We usually start school around noon. This year is more about preparing for school. Next year both kiddos will be in Kindergarten. Diva is only going to be 5, but she has done so well this year that we are going to see how well she does. Monkey will be more than ready to begin Kindergarten.

We do follow a curriculum (Sonlight) and I love it and the kids seem to enjoy it. This is really the only structure to our school day. Some days we do lots of activities, others not so many. This year I let the kids determine how many extras we do. If I can tell they've had too much, we stop. I want their first year of schooling to be fun. I believe this will lead to many years of a laid back style of teaching. A fun style.

I have learned that what works for one family may not work for another. I am slowly learning to ignore what outsiders say in regards to homeschooling. I have found those who have nothing but negative things to say, really don't have any idea what homeschooling is really all about. I really wish people would educate themselves before speaking. Maybe some year. I have also learned to do what is best for OUR family and enjoy the kiddos. They certainly grow up way too fast.

I hope to use this blog to journal our life in our homeschooling endeavors.

No comments:

Post a Comment